Thursday 19 September 2013

Storyboard on Xcode 5 by default, what about use it just as an editor for view controllers?

Storyboard on Xcode 5 by default, what about use it just as an editor for
view controllers?

I never felt comfortable using storyboard, I always look at them as a sort
of easy way to do easy things, but when customization come out they are
sort of rigid or more verbous than code instead. That's my opinion, but I
must tell the truth I never used them, so of course I might be wrong. The
segue, unwind system it seems to me very inelegant solution and the fact
that they return id object will require casts and a lot of if else coding
to match correct identifier.
It seems that there is no way to create a new custom initializer for view
controllers, for me that's a big deal, beacause I use a lot in abstract
classes.
Saying that, storyboard is the default options on Xcode 5, but not only,
the storyboard editor is really "light years" away from nib editor. You
can zoom, (usefull for auto layout), it seems an easier way if you want to
create different paths between iphone and ipad interface, there are also
more options, very important in iOS7. I'm talking about extendedEdges
property and top/bottom layout guide.

Actual question: I'm wondering if it will be correct and possible to
manage navigation in code "as usual" and use the storyboard as an editor
and container of all application view controllers. Is there someone that
uses this approach?

No comments:

Post a Comment